Wednesday, March 12, 2014

You can't change what you've done but you can change what you do.

Phillippians 3:13-14 

13. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before. 14. I press towards the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. 

The past is the past, what has happened has happened. We can't (try as we might) go back in time and fix all the mistakes we've made. Now, if we've hurt someone we can go back to them and ask for forgiveness. But, we can not take back what we've said or what we've done. 

You can't change what you've done but you can change what you do. 

Paul had an interesting past to say the least. At least in this time in his life as he writes this letter to Phillippi, he has made amazing progress in the Christian walk. He had done things no one had ever done before. But, no doubt, he still carried a little bit of the baggage from his life before he met Christ. But in chapter 3 in verse 13 of the book of Phillippians Paul comes to the point where he says; hey I don't know everything, I don't understand why everything has happened but, I'm choosing to forget what has happened and move on. He chose to forget, forgive himself and press on. 

But if you read verse 13 you must notice the tense he uses. Take a look at the word "forgetting". He didn't say he just one day woke up and forgot all that he had done and was able to easily press on and press towards the mark/goal. Rather, he woke up every day and chose to forget and he chose to press on. It has to be a daily effort! Just like the Christian life is a DAILY battle! I'm sure that Paul was consistently reminded of all the things he did but he chose to keep forgetting and forgiving himself and press on!! 

We should do the same. I know I'm constantly reminded of the wrong I've done and the people I've hurt. I'm sure you've been reminded as well. 

But our first step should choosing daily to forget what we've done and to forgive ourselves. Our second step is to press towards the mark, the high calling of God. 

God can use anybody who has a willing heart! It doesn't matter what you've done, where you've been or where you are at right now. God has a purpose and a plan for you. 

You can't change what you've done, but you can change what you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment